It’s time to make your list of New Year’s Resolutions. On the top of many people’s list is to lose weight and ultimately be more healthy. This is the time of year when you’re bombarded with ads promoting gyms, workout programs and diet supplements. Working out and dieting will surely help that goal, but let’s start with an easy option.
“Sleep plays a vital role in good health and well-being throughout your life. Getting enough quality sleep at the right times can help protect your mental health, physical health, quality of life, and safety.” – The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Before you try to lose weight, it’s important to get your body in a healthy state. Sleep deficiency can affect you in many ways – it’s more likely to affect your safety while driving, makes you less productive at work and school and increases your risk of obesity. If sleep can help you in these areas, you’re already off to a good start.
Question is, how do you get a good night’s sleep? You’ve tried before. Nothing helps.
Well here is a list of ways that can help you get a better nights sleep.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Your body likes routine.
- About an hour before you go to bed, use that as quiet time. Stay away from electronics and any type of bright, artificial light.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks and big, heavy meals before bed.
- If you have trouble falling asleep, limit your naps during the day.
- Stay away from caffeine and nicotine before bed, they’re both stimulants that’ll keep you awake.
- Make your bedroom a calm, relaxing space. Keep the lights dim and try to keep it a quiet place.
- Try relaxation techniques before bed like a soothing bath or meditation.
- Get active during the day and spend some time outside.
- If you’re losing sleep because you’re uncomfortable in bed, find a mattress that will work best for you.
I want to talk about the last tip. You can try all the tricks and tips to sleep better but if you don’t have the mattress that will support you and your needs, then you’re wasting your time. The Huffington Post wrote a great article about how you know it’s time to get a new mattress and how it affects your sleep. You can find it here.
“You wouldn’t run a marathon or hike a mountain without the right gear. And yet, despite spending a third of our lives sleeping, many of us haven’t adequately prepared in the bedroom — when it comes to mattresses, that is.
In a 2011 poll, the National Sleep Foundation found that 92 percent of people say a comfortable mattress is important to a good night’s sleep.
You might say that a new mattress is out of your budget, but if you don’t spend the money on that gym membership or those diet supplements, you’ll be putting your money towards a lifelong health improvement. Plus, a mattress can be customized to you.
When you shop at Gardner-White, our Bedding Experts are trained to help you find the mattress that is best for you from size to comfort level. Our sales associates undergo rigorous training and testing. We know every person is different and our Bedding Experts are here to listen to you and answer your questions. They will assist you in selecting the mattress that is right for you.
Why buy a mattress from Gardner-White? Here’s a blog explaining everything you’ll get from free extras to free delivery.
What other New Years Resolutions do you have? Let us know in the comments!