Are you moving soon? I moved into my new home a few months ago and it was exciting, but stressful. I loved the idea of starting new, decorating my new (and bigger) place and buying new furniture. I’ve moved a couple times before so I thought I had this moving thing down. While there are some tricks I remembered to use, there are some I wish I knew about to make the process a little easier! Whether you can take your time moving or have to do it all in one day, here are some simple tips that will definitely make it easier on you!
1. Pack your breakables with soft stuff you’re already taking with you. I packed all my glasses and plates with my dish, bath and hand towels. It saved me from using another box for my towels and I didn’t have to buy bubble wrap.
2. Label your boxes with what’s inside of them AND with what room they go in. That way you don’t have a living room filled with boxes that you’ll have to move yet again. They can go straight in correct room.
3. If you’re able to do this, clean your new place BEFORE you move in. I love the feeling of starting fresh and I was so lucky to be able to do this (and have a mother-in-law that LOVES to clean). That way, after a long day of moving, you don’t have to worry about cleaning your place too.
4. Use your dresser drawers as boxes. I didn’t even pack the clothes I store in my dresser in a different box. I left them in the dresser drawer and just moved those! Saved me a lot of time!
5. I bought a couple of Space Bags to put my winter clothes in. It saved a ton of space and went directly to storage when I moved.
6. This could be #1, but before you move, go through EVERYTHING! I did this while I was packing and set things aside that I wanted to donate. That way you’re not moving stuff you already plan on getting rid of.
7. Don’t forget to contact the post office and change your address! Nothing is worse than having mail still being sent to your old place. You can usually do this online here.
8. Moving clothes from your closet is a pain, you usually have to have boxes for the clothes AND hangers. But just leave the clothes on the hangers and hang them in a trash bag. So much easier to carry and you don’t have to deal with all the empty hangers and rehanging your clothes.
9. I refused to spend money on boxes, I just think it’s a waste of money because you usually throw it out afterwards. I found boxes at my local stores (that they were planning to throw away), work and friends. Let people know you’re moving and ask if they’ll set boxes aside for you. Luckily, a friend of mine was moving right after I had moved so I was able to give her all the boxes I collected instead of having to throw them away. I also used bins, baskets and luggage that I had.
10. If you have to take anything apart, like furniture or electronics, put all the small pieces in plastic ziploc bag and tape it to the item. That way you won’t lose the pieces and you’ll know what they go to!
I hope these tips helped you during your move! What other ones have you used or come across? Comment them below!