So You’re Moving…Here Are Some Helpful Tips

Are you moving soon? I moved into my new home a few months ago and it was exciting, but stressful. I loved the idea of starting new, decorating my new (and bigger) place and buying new furniture. I’ve moved a couple times before so I thought I had this moving thing down. While there are some tricks I remembered to use, there are some I wish I knew about to make the process a little easier! Whether you can take your time moving or have to do it all in one day, here are some simple tips that will definitely make it easier on you!

1. Pack your breakables with soft stuff you’re already taking with you. I packed all my glasses and plates with my dish, bath and hand towels. It saved me from using another box for my towels and I didn’t have to buy bubble wrap.

2. Label your boxes with what’s inside of them AND with what room they go in. That way you don’t have a living room filled with boxes that you’ll have to move yet again. They can go straight in correct room.

3. If you’re able to do this, clean your new place BEFORE you move in. I love the feeling of starting fresh and I was so lucky to be able to do this (and have a mother-in-law that LOVES to clean). That way, after a long day of moving, you don’t have to worry about cleaning your place too.

4. Use your dresser drawers as boxes. I didn’t even pack the clothes I store in my dresser in a different box. I left them in the dresser drawer and just moved those! Saved me a lot of time!

5. I bought a couple of Space Bags to put my winter clothes in. It saved a ton of space and went directly to storage when I moved.

6. This could be #1, but before you move, go through EVERYTHING! I did this while I was packing and set things aside that I wanted to donate. That way you’re not moving stuff you already plan on getting rid of.

7. Don’t forget to contact the post office and change your address! Nothing is worse than having mail still being sent to your old place. You can usually do this online here.

8. Moving clothes from your closet is a pain, you usually have to have boxes for the clothes AND hangers. But just leave the clothes on the hangers and hang them in a trash bag. So much easier to carry and you don’t have to deal with all the empty hangers and rehanging your clothes.

9. I refused to spend money on boxes, I just think it’s a waste of money because you usually throw it out afterwards. I found boxes at my local stores (that they were planning to throw away), work and friends. Let people know you’re moving and ask if they’ll set boxes aside for you. Luckily, a friend of mine was moving right after I had moved so I was able to give her all the boxes I collected instead of having to throw them away. I also used bins, baskets and luggage that I had.

10. If you have to take anything apart, like furniture or electronics, put all the small pieces in plastic ziploc bag and tape it to the item. That way you won’t lose the pieces and you’ll know what they go to!

I hope these tips helped you during your move! What other ones have you used or come across? Comment them below!

15 Comments

• Don M

April 15, 2018 at 10:03 am

Great tips! If you plan on using a moving company for help, definitely do your homework and get multiple quotes. Most movers are licensed and insured, but not all. If you can, it’s usually worth paying a little extra for a reputable moving company.

• Priyanka Patel

September 11, 2019 at 1:32 am

Incredible tips Megan. I was looking for some tips to keep in mind before moving to the new home and I am glad I stumbled on this article. The tips which you have shared are really amazing and will definitely help me in hassle free packing and shifting to a new place.

• Angela Waterford

September 18, 2019 at 3:01 pm

My sister is moving out of our childhood home into a new house, and she wants me to help her out, but I can’t do it since she’s thirty miles away from me. Thanks for telling me that I can suggest to her to pack her glasses and dishware with her towels so she can use fewer boxes for her move. I think I’ll also tell her to hire some movers so that she’ll have more helping hands to assist her to make her move easier.

• Benjamin@brothersmoving

October 11, 2019 at 11:58 am

Hi Megan, Excellent tips. Planning and organizing your move before the moving day can save you from moving day stress and time. Just pack your expensive and fragile stuff in bubble wrap, and then place them against cushions or mattress for maximum protection against jumps and collision. I prefer to take the help of experienced packing and moving company for efficiency and get the job done on time. Thanks for sharing these wonderful tips here.

• Angela Waterford

November 6, 2019 at 11:30 am

I’m moving out of the country soon since I bought a house in Paris and I plan to stay there permanently, and I’m going to take most of my stuff with me. Thanks for the tip that I can use my dresser drawers as my boxes to save up on space. I think I’ll hire an international moving company to help me out since I’m going to take my fridge with me.

• Henry Killingsworth

November 18, 2019 at 6:10 pm

I like that you explained that it is important to go through all of your stuff before you start packing for a move. My wife and I will be moving soon, but we have a lot of heavy appliances that I don’t think we can move by ourselves. It would probably be best if we hired a moving company to help us with this project.

• Vivian Black

November 25, 2019 at 9:02 pm

You made a great point about putting small pieces of things from furniture so you don’t lose key pieces. My husband and I are moving to Greenville, SC, and we need to move a lot of our furniture. We will keep these tips in mind as we search for a professional to help us.