Just because you’re going to lose an hour of sleep due to Daylight Savings Time, doesn’t mean it has to feel like it. Here are our 5 tips on how to adjust to the time change this weekend:
1. Go to bed earlier. Sure it’s almost the weekend, and you probably want to stay up late, but it’s worth it to catch some extra shut-eye this week. Did you know that a lack of sleep, especially due to Daylight Savings Time, can cause car accidents? Morning car accidents go up by 14% during the week after Daylight Savings Time according to university studies. Getting your 40 winks has never been so important!
2. Limit your naps. It seems counterintuitive to sleep less when you’re trying to snooze more, but quantity doesn’t always mean quality. Midday naps can disrupt your body’s natural sleep rhythm and it can make it harder for you to stick to a regular sleep schedule. This can make you feel groggy, even if you are getting 8 hours of sleep or more total.
3. Set your clocks ahead of schedule. You’re advised to set your clocks ahead one hour at 2am this Sunday. Instead of waiting until the middle of the night (or the morning), set your clocks forward the night before. That way, you have an extra day to get used to the time change before heading back out to work or school on Monday.
4. Squeeze in a workout. Going to the gym provides a myriad of benefits, including the release of endorphins and serotonin which have been proven to help with a good night’s rest. Just don’t exercise too close to your bedtime, it takes your body a few hours after a vigorous workout to relax enough for sleep. Have to cut it too close to bedtime? Try a low intensity workout instead, like slow-flow yoga with meditation to relax your mind and body before bed.
5. Purchase an ultra-comfortable mattress. There is no point in getting extra sleep if the bed you’re sleeping on is causing you back or neck pain, or is causing you to toss and turn at night. Stop into one of our 9 Gardner-White locations and talk with one of our certified Sleep Experts. Not only can we help you find the perfect mattress for your lifestyle and budget, but we also offer our exclusive Best Sleep Guarantee and Same Day Delivery. You could purchase your dream mattress today in store, and sleep on it tonight, all backed with our 180 day comfort guarantee! Shop our Mattresses.