Sleep: everyone needs it, but not everyone gets enough of it. A good night’s sleep has a variety of benefits that goes way beyond feeling better in the morning. Getting quality sleep is attributed to a healthier lifestyle, and can benefit your heart health as well as your weight. Here are our top 5 reasons why getting a great night’s sleep is so important:
- Stronger immune system. According to researchers, those who get less than 7.5 hours of sleep per night, are three times more likely to catch a common cold than those who slept for 8 or more hours per night. More sleep helps your body recharge, including your immune system.
- Improve your emotional health. Ever notice how when you don’t get enough sleep, you’re a little more cranky than usual? That’s because a lack of sleep can contribute to depression and anxiety. According to Health.com, getting enough sleep provides more emotional stability and will help you avoid irritability.
- Sharpen your attention span & improve memory. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, while you’re sleeping, your brain is preparing itself to function for the next day by developing new pathways that allow you to learn and remember information. When you don’t get enough sleep, studies have shown that solving problems and making decisions are increasingly more difficult.
- Keep your heart healthy. The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute also says that sleep contributes to the repair of your heart and blood vessels. Those who are chronically sleep deprived often have an increased risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Having trouble reaching your weight goals? Sleeping for an extra hour or two per night might help you reach those goals. WebMD states that Leptin, the hormone our body produces that tells us when we are full, drops significantly when we don’t get enough sleep. Not only that, but when we are over-tired, we crave high-fat and high-calorie foods for a quick energy boost.
Getting enough sleep is obviously healthier for you, but it’s often easier said than done. So how can you achieve your best night’s sleep? The first step is to invest in a comfortable and supportive mattress. Click here to browse our selection of affordable models.